Thanks to our incredible supporters over the last 30 years, we have been able to invest more than $17 million into life-saving research and education programs - resulting in over 10,000 babies saved and an extraordinary 85% reduction in SIDS deaths.
But there is still more work to do.
300,000 babies are born each year in Australia.1 But sadly more than 3,000 never get the chance to grow up.2
- 2,107 babies are stillborn - that’s one every four hours.5
- 742 babies die before they turn one month old.
- 87 babies die from SUDI and fatal sleeping accidents.3
- 103 children under four years die in accidents such as drownings and poisonings.4
There has been no significant change to these figures in the last 25 years. The stillbirth rate has remained the same, despite us knowing that 20% of these deaths are preventable.
Saving lives of babies and children, and supporting people impacted by the death of a child.
We know that funding research saves babies lives. Because this is exactly how Red Nose reduced the rate of SIDS in Australia by 85%.
Your donation today will help fund lifesaving research so we can reduce nine deaths a day to zero. Donate today and help stop little lives being cut short.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2018). 3301.0 - Births, Australia, 2017 ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2018. Australia’s mothers and babies 2016—in brief. Perinatal statistics series no. 34. Cat. no. PER 97. Canberra: AIHW.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2018). 3303.0 - Causes of Death, Australia, 2017. ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) 2018. GRIM (General Record of Incidence of Mortality) books 2016: All external causes of morbidity and mortality. Canberra: AIHW
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2019), forthcoming. Stillbirth and neonatal deaths in Australia 2015 and 2016. Cat. No PER 102. Canberra: AIHW
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2003). SIDS in Australia 1981-2000: A statistical overview. ABS, Canberra & Australian Bureau of Statistics (2001-). 3303.0 - Causes of Death, Australia, 2001-. ABS, Canberra.
- Includes calculations prepared by Red Nose and confirmed by the ABS.