Hi we are going away for a few days with 6 week old. Is it safe for him to sleep in the bassinet of the pram seems to be different information on line.
Thank you for contacting Red Nose with your question.
There are a range of responses to sleeping baby in a pram overnight. Part of the reason for this is that prams are designed as transport item, not a sleep (overnight or unsupervised) environment.
A pram is not the same as a bassinet.
There are no mandatory standards for a bassinet in Australia, however Product Safety Australia has some “buying tips” that are related to what a safe bassinet might look like.
• Ensure the sides of the bassinette are at least 300 mm higher than the top of the mattress base.
• Ensure it has a wide stable base and a sturdy bottom so that it won’t tip over.
• Ensure the mattress fits well and is firm, smooth and no more than 75 mm thick.
For more info see: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/products/babies-kids/kids-furniture/bassinettes
Would your pram mirror these tips?
Red Nose recommends never leaving your unattended in a pram or stroller. It is not a substitute for a cot.
see more info: https://rednose.org.au/article/prams-and-strollers
Product Safety information includes:
• Avoid sleeping children in prams or strollers. Never have an unharnessed child asleep in a pram or stroller as they can move about and may be at risk of falling or entrapment. If they are asleep, maintain regular supervision.
• Do not use a pillow or cushion in the pram or stroller, because it may cause suffocation.
Kind regards, Red Nose